HOWTO: Upgrade Windows 7 beta to RC1 directly
July 14, 2009 Leave a comment
Follow these steps to perform a hack upgrade of your Windows 7 beta to RC1
- Obtain the Windows 7 RC1 ISO file.
- Extract the content of the ISO file to a folder using utility like IZArc
- Inside that folder, open the sources directory.
- Open cversion.ini in Notepad or similar text editor.
- Change the 4-digit number after the word MinClient build number to a lower value, like from 7100 to 7000.
- Save the file.
- Start the Windows 7 installation
- When presented with the option of Upgrade or Clean Install, choose Upgrade….voilà!